Child Visa – Subclass 802/101

A Child (subclass 802 and 101) visa is a permanent visa for a child, adopted child or stepchild of an Australian citizen, holder of a permanent visa or an eligible New Zealand citizen. The child must be sponsored by their parent or that parent’s cohabitating spouse or de facto partner.

An applicant must be under 25 years of age. An applicant who has turned 18 years of age must be a full-time student and financially dependent on their parent, both at the time they lodge their application and when it is decided. These requirements do not apply to a child who can provide medical evidence of having a physical or mental disability that stops them from working, which is why they are still financially dependent on their parent.

The child must not be married, engaged to be married or have a de facto partner. If aged 18 years or over, the child must never have had a spouse or de facto partner.