Student Visa Subclass 500

This visa allows student to stay in Australia to study full-time in a recognised course. In order to obtain this type of visa, one must be able to demonstrate genuine intention to visit Australia temporarily to complete studies. Studying in Australia may lead to becoming eligible for a further provisional or permanent residency visa.

Under this visa, students can work up to 40 hours a fortnight while they are in the program and for unlimited hours during their course breaks.

The Department of Home Affairs in Australia also requires the applicants to hold a valid Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) document. This visa offers great convenience and opportunities to international students during their stay in Australia.

Why is Australia such a popular place to study?

Here’s a list of some of the main benefits of studying in Australia:

  • obtain a world class education recognized internationally
  • study the Australian way – not just theory but real world practical experience
  • obtain new skills and broaden your career options
  • learn about the Australian culture and lifestyle
  • work whilst you study to obtain valuable skills related to Australian work standards and ethics
  • live, study and work in a safe and friendly atmosphere – Sydney and Melbourne were ranked among the top ten friendliest cities in the world
  • your partner/spouse and family can also be added to the same application
  • dramatically improve your English language and communication skills
  • interact with international students from all over the world
  • experience integrating in a multicultural society
  • obtain a Skilled Temporary Graduate work visa (Subclass 485) if you choose the right course
  • work towards applying for a permanent residency visa to live and work in Australian permanently

Whilst holding a student visa you may be eligible to apply for another student visa or other type of visa before your substantive student visa expires.

In order to meet the criteria to be granted a student visa you must select a course from a registered education provider, and the course must be full time. Your country of passport and the type of course you wish to study as well as various other factors will be assessed by the Department of Immigration.